Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An-Nur The Light

Go down

An-Nur The Light Empty An-Nur The Light

Post  ahjirasa Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:05 am

Bismillah rahmani raheem
salam alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatu

An-Nur: The Light

(99 beautiful names of Allah)

An entire chapter in the holy Quran is dedicated to this name of Allah. It begins by laying down the rules of right and wrong in case of a very serious sin, viz. adulteration and forcination. If we draw parallels between sin and darkness, sins push a society into moral darkness and preventing such sins and meting out Quranic punishment when they occur relieves a society of its shame and takes it into light. In light a man shines in his true nature the way Allah has designed him. When he moves towards sin he hides himself in darkness.

The first step in approaching the light of Allah is to give up evil thoughts and deeds.

O you who believe! Follow not the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan). And whosoever follows the footsteps of Shaitan (Satan), then, verily he commands Al-Fahsha' [disbelief and polytheism and to commit indecency (illegal sexual intercourse, etc.)], and Al- Munkar [i.e. to do evil and wicked deeds; to speak lies or to do what is forbidden in Islam, etc.]. And had it not been for the Grace of Allah and His Mercy on you, not one of you would ever have been pure from sins. But Allah purifies (guides to Islam) whom He wills, and Allah is All-Hearer, All-Knower. (An-Nur 24:21)

Constant remembrance of Allah makes our hearts soft. When we sin our hearts harden and we are not able to accept the light of Allah. When we give up evil deeds and have asked repentance for our sins, then we can slowly proceed towards Allah's light. In a beautiful portrayal Allah describes to us what His light is like. We humans with our finite intellectual capacity are unable to grasp His complete glory.

Allah is the Light of the heavens and the earth. The parable of His Light is as if there were a Niche and within is a Lamp: the Lamp enclosed in Glass; the glass as it were a brilliant star, lit from a blessed Tree, an Olive, neither of the east (i.e. neither it gets sun-rays only in the morning) nor of the west (i.e. nor it gets sun- rays only in the afternoon, but it is exposed to the sun all day long), whose Oil is nearly luminous, though fire has hardly touched it. Light upon Light! Allah guides whom He wills to His Light. Allah sets forth Parables for men, and Allah knows all things. (An-Nur 24:35)

It is difficult not to fall in love with Him if we make a sincere effort to know Him through beautiful names and attributes. All our life we are looking for love and we think love is some beautiful creature which if we were to catch we would be happy for the rest of our lives. But when we fall in love with Allah's light our whole being shines with light and others fall in love with the light that shines forth from us. We become self sufficient, we become our own light, it is as if we have moved from night into day.

In the Quranic chapter An-Nur, Allah also warns against the sin of slander. Propagation of falsehood corrupts society and is enough to take one to hell. He also guides us to be charitable so that we may atone for some of the sins that we may do knowingly or unknowingly. Slander hardens the heart while charity and other good deeds soften it and allow Allah's light to enter.

Let not those among you who are endued with grace and amplitude of means resolve by oath against helping their kinsmen, those in want, and those who have left their homes in Allah's cause: let them forgive and overlook, do you not wish that Allah should forgive you? For Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful. (An-Nur 24.22)

Other advisories issued by Allah in this chapter are not to enter anybody's house without permission, to always lower gaze when talking to the other gender except if they are the permitted relatives and protect private parts from illegal desires. Women are advised to keep themselves covered amongst the non permitted list of relatives and outsiders. The importance of marriage is underlined in this chapter as a means of preventing sinful acts.

Allah enlightens us that not only men but everything in the heaven and earth is busy praising Allah and they too know their Salat (prayers). And He asks us to strive in His path by obeying the commands of Allah and His messengers.

So establish regular Prayer and give regular Charity; and obey the Messenger; that ye may receive mercy. (An-Nur 24:56)

To come into contact with Allah's light one has to persevere in His remembrance. Of such people Allah says:
By men whom neither traffic nor merchandise can divert from the Remembrance of Allah, nor from regular Prayer, nor from the practice of regular Charity: Their (only) fear is for the Day when hearts and eyes will be transformed (in a world wholly new). That Allah may reward them according to the best of their deeds, and add even more for them out of His Grace: for Allah doth provide for those whom He will, without measure. (An-Nur 24:38-39)

An-Nur
Prophet Muhammad (saws) advises believers to say the following in their prayers:
"O Allah, put light in my heart, light in my tongue, light in my sight, light in my hearing, light on my right, light on my left, light above me, light beneath me, light in front of me, and light behind me. Put light in my soul, and give me a great light." (Sahih Bukhari and Sahih Muslim)

ahjirasa

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum